Fabric Memory Baskets at Minstead Study Centre
Sunday 26th February 2023
9.30am to 4.30pm
This is a new workshop to Minstead Study Centre, Nancy Shafee will be your tutor, she’s giving you the perfect excuse to look out all those unworn favourite shirts or summer dresses.
You will be making pretty and useful baskets.
What better way to keep the memory of your favourite clothing or somebody special to you, favourite clothing.
In the morning you will discuss suitable fabrics and how to prepare them and then start to make a hand-stitched basket so that you can learn the coiling techniques. In the afternoon you will make a machine stitched basket - or continue with hand-stitching if you prefer. The results using the different techniques are very different!
You will need to bring
- a sewing machine capable of doing zig-zag stitching
- fabrics - shirt-weight or summer dress weight are the easiest for beginners
- toning or contrasting threads
- a couple of denim machine needles - the second one is in case of breakages!
- toning button-hole thread or embroidery threads for hand-stitching
- hand-stitching needles suitable for this thickness of thread
- fabric scissors
- embroidery/sharp pointed scissors or thread-snips
- needle threaders if you use them
- notebook and pencil
- packet lunch
Nancy is a member of local groups including The Wey Valley Workshop, SAOS, and Oxshott Arts and Craft Society, as well as the Crafts Council, International Feltmakers Association, The Textile Society and Heritage Crafts Association. She has been awarded the Trade Mark Surrey Hills, an accreditation and a mark of local provenance, quality and sustainability.
Nancy has been making coiled baskets for about twelve years and says ‘Making memory baskets is a wonderful way to remember favourite clothing or events and certainly more useful that hoarding outgrown garments or collected fabrics!'. She also teaches feltmaking and runs simple embroidery workshops for beginners.
£90.00 per person