Origami for Beginners
Friday 24th February, 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th March 2023
10.00am to 12.00pm
To learn about different folds and the words used to describe them. To create entertaining action models, useful boxes and envelopes, and decorative items including flowers.
- Fold paper with accuracy and control to produce a variety of models
- At least three entertaining action models, three different boxes, three different envelope/letter folds, and three decorative items, (flower, vase and sphere)
- Read and interpret written origami instructions
- By the end of the course you will be able to follow a simple diagram independently and complete the model
- Fold small units to make an impressive larger model
- Five pieces of paper can be combined to make a sturdy vase
- Six small pieces may each be folded and then combined using hidden flaps to produce a decorative sphere or cube
- Use origami as a means of relaxation, and mindful activity
- Consider how you feel at the start and end of the session, noting that origami can be a relaxing and mindful activity
Who is this course for: Anyone who would like to learn about origami and the possibilities of folding paper
Previous knowledge or experience: No experience necessary, although if you have folded paper before the goal will be to improve accuracy and discover new models
How will I learn: You will use most of the senses, looking, listening and touching the paper, but mostly visually, through imitation and following diagrams
How will I be assessed: Tutor observation and individual work
What shall I bring: origami paper, ideally 15cm squares and a box to put finished models in. Paper will also be available to purchase
Next steps: There are endless future opportunities once the basics have been mastered. Participants will be able to fold independently from books or online diagrams
Attendance is expected at each session to ensure that you get the most out of your learning experience and to minimise disruption for other learners. Please advise the venue/tutor of any absence you may have.
You will be contacted by a member of the learning in Libraries team prior to the course. We are unable to process your booking without a phone number.
Please note that due to circumstances outside of our control we may need to move this course online. Please give consent to your image appearing on our virtual learning environment Zoom.
If this event is sold out please contact learningInLibraries@hants.gov.uk so that we can inform you of any future courses.
To join our mailing list please select yes. You can unsubscribe at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org